The Joy of Missing Out: 9 Screen-Free Activities for Your 24/6 Journey
Imagine waking up on a day where you don’t have to worry about the constant pinging of emails or messages on your screen. You feel a weight lifted off your shoulders and your neck muscles relax. This feeling is what you’ve been waiting for all week. While it might be difficult to break away from your routine work, a tech sabbatical can help you explore activities that you enjoy doing.
Start by asking yourself what activities you used to love doing. If you’re not sure where to start, here are some screen-free ideas:
- Create a to-do list a day before your tech sabbatical or be spontaneous and jump into whatever activity comes to mind that day.
- Start by making your bed and tidying up your bedroom the way you like it.
- If you have plants, water them to feel the sense of responsibility and caring for another life. If you don’t have any, consider adopting a plant and taking care of it.
- Cooking can be a therapeutic activity. Try a new recipe or cook a dish that reminds you of home.
- Reading can be relaxing. Start by setting a goal of reading two pages or a chapter per week. Even if you’re not an avid reader, this is a good way to start.
- Go for a walk around your neighborhood and observe your surroundings.
- Do some yoga or exercise for at least 15 minutes to release any tension from the workweek.
- Evaluate your life plan for the next year or five years and see if there’s anything you’ve forgotten. This can help you stay focused on your goals and motivations.
- Host a board game night with your partner or invite friends over to enjoy food and games.
Remember, these are just ideas, and you know yourself best. Consider exploring your childhood memories and hobbies that bring you joy. If you love learning, take an offline course or workshop about something you never knew before. Or, visit a place that makes your heart happy. Embrace your individuality, and you might be surprised at what you discover.